Sunday 18 October 2015

Story-Telling: Idea Changes

Before starting on the writing process I wanted to change a few elements of my idea and the overall flow of the story.

The changes I have made involve the opening sequence. I decided that it needed to be a moment that people would remember and a moment that kicked the story off. The initial idea involved the main character, Dylan, rushing across the hospital grounds and into the hospital. I have decided to change this and add a bit of irony and drama to the scene. Just outside the hospital entrance Dylan is now going to be hit by a vehicle (maybe an ambulance). Then the story is going to go back to a period 5 minutes earlier when he was in the waiting room with his sister. This is where the actual meeting will begin. Dylan will then leave in anger and head away from the hospital. He will then receive a phone call about his fiancée being in the final stages of her birth. He then rushes back to the hospital, where he is hit. The film then continues from after the incident as he struggles to walk into the hospital. He makes he way to the delivery room, still in pain, because he doesn't want to miss the birth. The story ends with him walking into the delivery room where the sounds of a baby crying can be heard, a sign that the baby has been born.

I have made these changes to the story because I wanted to add a moment people will remember and add more action to help cut down on the amount dialogue needed to progress the story. I also wanted to make it even harder for Dylan to make it to the birth of his son. I felt he needed more of a challenge.

I hope these changes improve the story and help me write a better story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment