Sunday 20 December 2015

Work Experience- Stand-in on Take Me Out


Recently I was given the chance to be a stand-in on ITVs Take Me Out, and of course I said yes!

On the first day we turned up early so we could see the set before it got too busy. I watch the show a lot so it was so cool to be on the set. It's not as big as it looks in real life, but that is usually the case with TV because of wide angle lenses.

We started off by doing the stair walk. At the start of each show the girls must walk down this big staircase at the back of the studio before walking down and standing behind their podiums. We had to do this a couple of times which was really fun. Next we had our microphones put on and we had to stand behind the podiums and pretend to be one of the girls. I was Beckie. For the first day of rehearsals we rehearsed with some stand-in boys and the stage manager Al was a stand in for the host. We had a lot of fun that day. The girls on the show always say the weirdest things to the boys so I tried my best to do that to. I think I pulled it off.

The next day we were very excited because we would be doing a rehearsal with the host of the show Paddy McGuinness. I am a big fan of Paddy so it was really surreal for me to be on set with him. We did the stair walk again and then moved on the the podiums. This time we were also rehearsing the real guys that were going to be on the show. Again it was down to us to come up with the weirdest responses and try and keep the atmosphere high.

The next day was a big day for me because the producers had asked me to be a stand-in boy for the real girls that were going to be on the show. Because of the way the show works, the real girls and boys can't meet until the show is being recorded so they need stand-ins for every rehearsal. I was nervous for the entire day. Next thing I knew I was being taken backstage to get into the lift. I walked up a spiral staircase, still nervous, and stood in the lift. I could hear all the girls chatting whilst the stage was reset. Then my walk on music started playing. The lift started moving and that was it, I was on camera, in front of the girls and a small audience of crew - there was no turning back. The production team had provided me with a few things to keep the girls entertained. After introducing myself I lost a few girls because they thought I was too young for them. Next I had to limbo and finally I had to tell a few cheesy jokes, I lost quite a few girls on that one. Finally, the power was in my hands and I had to choose a date. I went out and turned some lights off, that was it, I had my date. Mark, the stage manager, introduced us and then we walked off up the stairs and out of the studio. It was an incredible experience and not many people can say they've done it.

Over the next few days we were back in the studio standing in for the girls. By the end of it I think Paddy was scared to ask me about the boys because my answers were so rude. It was hilarious though.

There is a video of my time as a stand-in boy but unfortunately I can't post that until the show has been broadcast.


My experience as a stand-in on Take Me Out was brilliant. Working with Paddy and the whole crew was super. It was an amazing experience. I had a great time!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment