Sunday 14 May 2017

Professional Practice: Project Evaluation


PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE PROJECT EVALUATION

PRE-PRODUCTION

I started this unit wanting to do a work placement with Trickbox TV as studio production is the area I would like to work in, in the future. These plans soon changed when I was chosen as the producer for the Studio Production Unit, and so I decided that doing a commission would be a more sensible idea as I would be able to put together my own schedule. Around this time a local secondary school contacted me about the possibility of producing a new film for them. I decided this would be a great comission for this unit and accepted the offer. Although I have a previous relationship with them, I would be working we knew people I hadn't met before.

I arranged an initial meeting with the school so we could discuss the film they would like me to produce. They decided they would like me to produce a teacher training film because they often get asked for advice from other schools, and they wanted something they could show them. The film's topic would be the use of questioning techniques in lessons. As this was something I knew nothing about, I arranged to speak to the teachers that would be featured, so I could learn more about their techniques. This also helped me think about the questions to ask in their interviews, and how I could go about filming their lessons. I also arranged to scout the locations for the lessons so I could look at the  health and safety, and practically of them. This helped me produce my risk assessment and helped me think more about how I could film the lessons.

I conducted some research into teacher training films by watching three of them online. There are lots of training films out there, but you have to pay for them, so the three free ones I watched probably aren't the best examples. I found that they tend to be uninteresting, and that they're often very plain, and uncreative. I knew the school would like something different, and interesting so that people actually pay attention to it. I took this information forward with me during the rest of the planning process to ensure this film was interesting and creative.

Finally, I conducted some research into shooting interviews, as I wanted the interviews in this film to look slick and professional. You can see that research here. In summary I learnt about the use of three point lighting, using the rule of thirds to frame the subjects, and sitting the subjects far from the lens to create a blurred background.

Overall the pre-production process wasn't too bad. I spent most of it researching the techniques I would be featuring by talking to the contributors. This ensured I told the correct story on screen, instead of trying to guess how it should be told.

PRODUCTION

See more about the filming days here: Filming Days

The first filming day began with a lot of setting up. I had to set up the interview location, which included dressing the set, lighting the set, and setting up the camera. I started by positioning the interviewees chair as everything would be built around it. I then lit the room using the three point lighting set up, and finally I set the camera up and used a stand in to frame the shot, and set the mics up.

During the interviews I used a preset list of questions, expanding and re-phrasing when required. This ensured I got the most out of my interviewees, and got them to tell me information they had already told me before.

To film the actuality I used a multi-camera setup. This allowed me to vary my shots sizes, and gave me a wide shot to cut to when I needed to cover up repos on my handheld camera. For the handheld camera I attached a Sony PMW to a shoulder rig, which helped to prevent strain and made it easier to keep the camera stable. For the secondary camera, I set a Canon EOS M1 up on a tripod and positioned it at the back of my locations.

I found the four filming days pretty easy. It was very similar to filming the documentary unit. Because I was prepared and always turned up early, I was ready for every challenge. I found filming the actuality to be quite a strain on my back and arms. Holding a camera up for 30-45mins was a challenge, and I think without the shoulder rig it could've been even worse.

POST-PRODUCTION

I started the post-production process off by watching the interview footage back and using timecodes to create an A/V script I could use to edit the film together. I found this made the editing process easier because I already had a transcript for the sections of the interviews I wanted to use. I also watched the actuality footage back and made notes on shots I liked and wanted to feature in the final film.

I also produced a set of branded content for the film, which included a lower third template, background image, and logo end card. I planned to use all of these in the film to give it an overall King Ethelbert School look.

Editing the film together was a long process, mostly because for each actuality sequence I was working with a multi-camera set up, which meant I had to watch through both 30-45min shots for each lesson and cut them together. Cutting the interviews together was a lot easier because I had the A/V script.

Once the assembly cut was ready, I fine tuned it, added the text and lower thirds, colour corrected it, and leveled all of the sound. Once that was complete, the rough cut was ready. My commissioners loved the rough cut and gave no negative feedback. As no changes needed to be made, I removed the timecode, and fine tuned some of the cuts, and exported the final film. I then sent it off to my commissioners along with the branded material I had produced.

OVERALL EVALUATION: CRITICAL REFLECTIONS

Strengths-

  • I beleive my main strength during this project was my general filmmaking ability. I was able to produce a good film that my commissioners loved and made no changes to. I was able to shoot nice interviews and good actuality, something I've learnt is no easy task.
  • Another strength was my organisation skills. I was able to organise the filming of 5 interviews, and the filming of 4 actuality based multi-camera sequences. In addition to this, on the filming days I filmed at least 10 more interviews with students. It took time to organise, but because I did it all early in the production, filming wasn't too difficult.
Weaknesses-

  • My main weakness was the relationship I already had my commissioners prior to this unit. Although I did not know everyone I worked with, I did know the headteacher, and the deputy headteacher, who were my main points of contact. This did make organisation a lot easier, and I feel that prevented me from getting the full experience, and coming across most of the usual challenges that come with being a freelance filmmaker.
  • I also feel I could've spent more time researching teacher training films. Although I spent time research the teachers I would be featuring, I didn't spend a lot of time research teacher training films as a whole.

Possible Developments- What did I learn?

  • I learnt that building a good rapport with your contributors and commissioners is the key to creating a successful film where everyone looks like they want to take part. This allowed me to get the best out of my contributors.
  • If I were to do this again, I would:
    • Try to get a commision from someone I didn't already have a relationship with.
    • Spend more time researching the genre I was working in.
    • Work on my techniques for shooting interviews. Although I did the correct things, the shots did not look as good as I had hoped they would.
CONCLUSION


Working on this unit overall was not too difficult. I enjoyed creating the film, and I think this camera across in the final edit. I tried my best to make the film interesting and creative, and I others will agree that it is. I also hope the school use the film for years to come, and lots of people get to see the work I have produced. I learnt a lot on this unit about interviewing and shooting actuality using a multi-camera setup, and I hope I can take all of this information forward with me, and apply it to future projects.

0 comments:

Post a Comment