Saturday 13 May 2017

Professional Practice: Editing Rough Cut

Once all the filming was complete, and the A/V script had been produced, I began to edit the rough cut together.


EDITING ROUGH CUT

I began this process by importing all of my footage into Adobe Premiere Pro. I used bins to organise the interviews, actuality, music, titles, images etc. I also created a series of sequences for the final cut, the multicams, the interviews etc.

My bins
Next I watched back all of the footage and began to create in and out points on my interviews using the timecodes I had noted down whilst creating the A/V script. I also created in and out points on my actuality footage so I could being storing shots of what my interviewees were talking about in their interviews.

Assembly

The hardest part of the assembly process was going to be editing the multicam footage, so I did that first. I used the timecodes on my footage to sync the cameras up for each lesson I filmed. I then used Premiere's built in multicam editor to watch through the footage and choose which shots I wanted and when I wanted to cut to them. It works a lot like vision mixing, but using pre-recorded footage instead of live feeds. I did the same process for each lesson I filmed. What I like about using this set up is that the cuts are not permanent, instead Premiere creates a sequence, meaning you can go back and adjust cuts if need be.

Editing multicam footage in Premiere
Next I began transferring all of my interview footage into one IV sequence, using the in and out points I had created earlier. I then watched through each clip and cut it down even more if I needed to. I did this because on second viewing I noticed small things I didn't like and wanted to remove, like bad camera adjustments, or unneeded dialogue.

Then I began putting the final video together, starting with the opening title screen, and the headteachers opening dialogue. I worked through the sequence, assembling the interview footage for each section, not worrying about covering any edits with actuality just yet.

Fine Tuning

Once I was happy with the assembly cut, I watched back through the film and started inserting actuality at points when the interviewees mentioned it, still not worrying about covering edits yet. I then used additional actuality to cover edits in the interviews.

Finally I fine tuned some of the edits and added the logo end card.

Next I added all of the lower thirds. These were important as the told the audience the relevant information about the person speaking on screen. I used the information given to me by each interviewee at the start of each interview, and the lower third template I had created in photoshop as part of the branding process. I didn't need to position the lower thirds as I had already done that in photoshop using a 1920 x 1080 pixel canvas.

One of the final lower thirds
Sound Design

As this film was a documentary type production, it didn't require a lot of sound design, but I did need to insert some music and level the sound. I also had to blend any cuts in the sound I had made whilst cutting the interviews together.

Once all the sound had inserted and edited together, I used the track and clip mixers to level everything until I was happy with how it sounded.

Using the track mixer
Colour Correction

The final stage of the edit was to colour correct all of the footage, especially the multicam footage as the two cameras produced slightly different looking images. I started this process by first correcting the footage using the Lumetri Scopes and the RGB curves. I went through each shot and balanced the RGB levels, and the black and white levels, by adjusting the shadows, midtones, and highlights. Once I was happy with it, the edit was complete. I corrected all of the footage so it would look nicer, more natural, and more professional, something I thought the commissioners would appreciate.

Colour correcting the footage
Using the Lumetri Scopes
The process of editing involved a few smaller details than mentioned here, but they're so minor they didn't need to be mentioned. The final step was to add a timecode so I could reference any feedback given to me during the rough cut viewing.

A screenshot from the timecoded video
Below is the final timeline for the film:

The final timeline


0 comments:

Post a Comment