Saturday 13 May 2017

Professional Practice: Shooting Interviews

As this film would mostly be made up of interviews, I felt it was important I did some more research into shooting interviews.

SHOOTING INTERVIEWS

First I had to decide what type of interviews I wanted to use for the film. The main types are:

- Location interview- Prepared interview filmed at a location, usually one related to the topic.
- Studio interview- Prepared interview filmed in a studio setup. Background that probably isn't related to the topic.
- Vox pop interview- On the spot interview filmed on location. Used to gather immediate reactions. Requires less preparation and scheduling.

For this project I have decided shoot my interviews on location. I will find a location at the school that is easily accessible, has good lighting, limited background noise, and has some relation to the interviewee or topic.

One thing I need to think about is how many cameras I will be using as this will affect how I frame the interview. As I am only filming the interviewees responses, I will only use one camera. If I had two cameras, I could get a MS and a CU of the interviewee, which can be useful in editing, but I have chosen to use one camera.

In terms of lighting, I have decided to use a three point lighting set up. This set up involves using three lights to light the subject: a key light, a fill light, and a backlight. I will only be booking out two lights for this project, so I will find a location with a large window so I can use the natural light as my key light. I will also find a room that has good practical lighting already in place. It is important to use this lighting set up as it helps to "achieve satisfactory levels and appearance" (Musburger, 2010:148), something that will make the interviews look more natural and professional. Using a backlight is also important as it "adds a rim of light around the subject to separate it from the background" (Musburger, 2010:148), but only if it is positioned well. One final thing I will aim to achieve when lighting the interviews is an 'eye light'. This is the "point of light, visible in the talents eyes" (Bowen, 2013:200), which helps draw the audience's attention. It also helps to make the subject look alive and natural.

When framing my shots, I will keep the 'Rule of Thirds' in mind. This rule states that "the most atheistic location for a predominantly vertical form is one third away from either the left or right side of the frame" (Musburger, 2010:170). Because of this I will probably frame my subjects in either the left, or right side of the frame, not the center. I will also consider placing the subject a good distance from the lens because if you "expand the camera to subject distance ... [you get] a shallower depth of field" (Bowen, 2013, 242), which helps to separate the subject from the background and draw the audience's attention to what's in the foreground.

I believe this research I have carried out into shooting interviews will ensure the interviews are film for this project are of a high and professional standard, which is important as the film is mostly made up of interviews.

Sources:
Musburger, Robert B (2010) Single-Camera Video Production (5th Edition) UK: Focal Press
Bowen, Christopher J (2013) Grammar Of The Shot (3rd Edition) UK: Focal Press

0 comments:

Post a Comment