Wednesday 24 February 2016

Directions: Editing- Self-Portrait

Once all the filming for my Self-Portrait was complete, it was time to edit...

EDITING: SELF-PORTRAIT

I began the editing process by importing all of my footage in Adobe Premiere Pro, and reviewing it. I went through each clip and created an in and out points on the sections of the clips I thought I might use in the final cut.

Step 1: Assembly

Next I roughly assembled all of the clips in the order I wanted them to play in. I didn't worry about fine tuning the cuts yet because I wanted to get the order right first. After assembling all of the footage, I added in an opening title and a closing credit, which for now was just some plain white text.

Step 2: Fine Tuning

Once that was all done I began fine tuning some of the cuts. I went through each shot and adjusted it accordingly, trying to keep some sort of continuity throughout. I didn't worry about any sound design yet because I still needed to think about what I was going to do for that. After I had finished fine tuning the cuts, the rough cut was complete.

The rough cut
I still needed to edit the stop motion part of the film, and work on the sound design.

(UPDATE) EDITING AFTER THE ROUGH CUT VIEWING

After I received feedback on my rough cut, I began working on the sound design, as this was the only thing Simon picked up on. The visual side of things was fine, and needed no adjustment.

Step 3: Stop Motion Sequence

I began the second edit by adding in the stop motion part of the film. I put all of the photos together in a separate sequence and then added the sequence into the final edit.

The stop motion sequence
I then used the rate stretch tool to adjust the timing of the stop motion sequence. After viewing the sequence back a couple of times, I decided it didn't fit in with the rest of the film, and so I removed it. Instead I replaced it with a wide shot of the lego set, followed by the shot of the lego man looking up at the photo. I beleive this worked much better than the stop motion sequence.

Step 4: Effects

Next, I added in some glitch effects using some pre made overlays. I added one in under the title and one under the credits. I also added a few in throughout the film to bridge some shots that were in different parts of the room. Then, I added in some cut aways. For example, when the camera dollies toward the TV and the Mac, some film clips and photos from previous projects cut in really quick under a glitch overlay.

Step 5: Sound Design

Once this was all done, I locked in the visuals and began working on the sound design. I started with my ambience layer, which in this case was a thunderstorm. I chose this because it added an eerie atmosphere to the film. Next I added in some foley sounds, like the sound of the door opening and closing. And finally I added in all of the sound effects, which are the most important part in this case, hence why I did them last. Each section of the film had a different sound effect or effects that helped tell the story. For example, the baby cards have the sound of a baby crying in the background; the photos of me as a baby hooked up to machines have a heart rate monitor playing in the background; and the shots of my film props have a film projector sound playing in the background.

After I had chosen all of my sounds and assembled them in the sequence, I began mixing it all together. To do this I used the track and the clip mixer. I went through each section of sound, adjusting balance and dB level. I had to use the razor tool to cut the sounds up so they fit each clip, meaning I could adjust balance and dB level depending on camera position and movement. For example, as the camera pans away from the baby cards, the sound of the baby fades out to the right of the screen.

Using the clip mixer
Step 6: Colour Correction

Finally, after I had completed all of the sound design, I did some colour correction, using an adjustment layer to edit all the clips at once. I didn't need to grade at all because I think the footage looked they way I wanted it too straight out of the camera. To correct the footage, I used the Lumetri Scopes and the RGB curves. I only made a few small adjustments to the master curve, I didn't mess with the colours because I liked them as they were. In the end all I did was bring down the highlights a little and increase the shadows a little, I didn't change the midtones.

RGB Curves & Lumetri Scopes
After I had completed all of the colour correction, the fine cut was complete and ready for the fine cut viewing.

The Final Edit
(UPDATE) EDITING AFTER THE FINE CUT FEEDBACK

The feedback from the fine cut viewing was very positive. No changes need to be made. The final cut is complete.

0 comments:

Post a Comment