Saturday 16 January 2016

Directions: Canon 7D Workshop

As part of my preparation for the directions unit I attended a workshop on using the Canon 7D DSLR. I am planning on using this camera for my shoot so it was important that I took a lot from this session.

We started by getting our hands on the cameras and going over the buttons, and what each one did. I found this interesting as, although I own a Canon camera, I still found buttons I had never used before. Ferg took us through the features and showed us how to set up exposure, white balance, ISO & shutter speed. Next he told us about the technical aspects of the camera, for example, the lens, the image sensor & sound setup.

Sound setup is something you need to keep in mind when using a DSLR because they don't have very good microphones. You can plug one in via the mic jack but the audio quality still isn't the best it could be. To get over this issue you have to record sound externally using a Location Sound Kit. Ferg when over the kit and showed us what came in each box. He also showed us a film which allowed you to hear the difference between using the mic jack on the camera and using an external recorder. The external recorder sound much, much better.

Me holding the 7D (credit: Ida Frank)
Next we moved onto a small task. Ferg asked us to go off and produce a short 'music video'. This task is designed to help us develop our skills on the camera. As it was a music video, you didn't really have to think about storytelling & directing. This allowed us to just focus on the camera (no pun intended).

I split into a group with Ida & Sammi. We chose to create a music video for Sorry by Justin Bieber. The song has a good tempo which allowed us to create an upbeat music video with lots of movement. Our initial idea was to mix modern club dancing with ballet. Ida performed the club dances and Sammi ballet, and very well too. We began by recording a master shot of the entire performance. This shot was a steadicam shot where I followed Ida & Sammi around the studio whilst they danced, timing it with the music. We balanced the camera by using a tripod as a counter weight. Next we shot some opening shots that introduced the two dancers. Then Ferg suggested we try out some slow-motion, so we changed the frame rate (from 25fps to 50fps) and shot some dancing. Finally Ida suggested a shot of her and Sammi popping their heads up from off camera and looking at each other. We shot that last and we were done.

Next we edited the video together, which involved sync the video up with the music, something we planned for by having the music playing out of speakers whilst we shot the footage. Once we had synced it up we added some of the cutaways we shot and added some titles. Here is the final product:


I really enjoyed this activity. I allowed me to really get hands on with the camera and test my skills. I had to pull focus a lot whilst moving around which I found very challenging, however I think the video is pretty much in focus at all times. I found the information Ferg shared with us very useful and I'm glad I know a little bit more about the camera now, especially considering that I am planning on using it for my project. Making this video taught me about setting up the camera properly before I press record. Because of the lighting in the studio we had to fiddle with the settings a little to get the image we wanted. I'm glad I know this now, instead of finding it out when I'm trying to shoot my final film. Overall it was a very useful session.

0 comments:

Post a Comment