Friday 26 February 2016

Directions: Project Evaluation

PRE-PRODUCTION

I started this unit knowing I wanted to direct Breaking Bad, and so I was constantly think about which scenes I could do. I spend some of my christmas holiday rewatching every episode of Breaking Bad. As I did this I kept a list of every scene I could choose. By the time we started term 2, I had decided which scenes I was going to do, which can be found here. Now that I had chosen my scenes, I had to start writing the script and start thinking about preparing for the shoot. I started to think about how I could apply my own vision to the show and my initial idea was to direct it as though it was a British adaptation.

Next I wrote the script and started looking for possible locations. I found the script writing very easy as all I had to do was watch my chosen scenes back and write down what I could see and hear. However, I did have to think carefully about scene descriptions as I had to come up with them myself and adjust them so they fitted my idea of the scene, not the original. In terms of locations, I was looking for an industrial site and a small, quiet street.

Next I began looking for actors to play my characters. To do this I posted an ad on Casting Call Pro. I also decided what my final locations would be and started writing the second draft of my script. A few weeks are posting my ad, I had my final cast. Over the next few weeks I began working on preparing for the shoot. I made and bought props; I prepared call sheets and shot lists; and I created character profiles.

Whilst doing all of this I was constantly carrying out research to help develop my knowledge and skills. I looked at directors like Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams; and I looked at tv shows like Better Call Saul and The Walking Dead. I also spent some time looking at Breaking Bad's visual style, sound design and directors. And finally I continued to use Film Riot tutorials to develop my practical/production skills.

Throughout the pre-production process I spent some time taking part in workshops to help develop my camera/sound/lighting skills and my directing skills. This included workshops on using the Canon 7D camera; workshops on using location lighting kits; and directing workshops with Steve Finn.

For my final part of pre-production on the drama I broke down the script and started working on costume design.

Whilst doing all of this, I spent some time doing pre-production work on my Self-Portrait. Before thinking about what I was going to do, I spent some time researching Self-Portrait films. I found four very interesting portraits that all had different themes and styles. Not too long after completing my research, I had an idea, which I wrote about here.

After I knew what my idea was, I began carrying out research to help aid me. I looked at a few Film Riot tutorials on some smoke and lighting techniques, as they linked to my initial ideas. I then spent some time preparing for the shoot. This involved creating mood boards; looking through old photo albums; rebuilding sets and props from old projects; writing a script; testing some shots; and creating a shot list.

Overall I think my pre-production process was very effective in aiding the final product. I did more pre-production on these two films, than I have ever done on anything before. I think my additional research into techniques and television programmes helped me direct my own vision, as it allowed me to think about what has been done before and how I could work with it, and re-imagine it. I think my research into other self-portraits helped me understand what a self-portrait was and what they tended to be about. This allowed me to develop my own ideas. And finally I think all of the pre-production paperwork I did helped me stay organised and helped me keep my actors up to date, which ultimately meant that the shoot day went very smoothly.

PRODUCTION

To see more about filming the drama, go here.

Once all of my pre-production was complete, it was time to start production. I had created scripts; shot lists; character profiles; costume design documents and more, so I knew I was ready to start filming.

Filming got off to a bad start because bad winds had mucked up train times, meaning my camera op and one of my actors were late. However, because I had created a pretty tight schedule, I was able to see what I could move around to keep us on track.

After arriving at the location we set up, I briefed the cast and crew, and we got started. We had a couple of rehearsals and then Gus, my actor, was ready to go. Chris was brilliant and we were able shoot all of his half of the scene on ahead of schedule, which meant we had time for a few extra shots.

Not long after finishing with Chris, Philip, my second actor, arrived early. After a short break, I briefed the cast and crew and we got started. For this part of the scene we had to shoot all of the shots that had both actors in them. Once this was done, Chris headed home and we took lunch.

After lunch we began shooting Philip's half of the scene. Unfortunately due to extreme wind, we had to change his location in the scene, which meant some of our shots from earlier in the day were unusable. After running Philip through the scene, we began shooting. He was great and again we finished early, meaning we had time to get extra coverage. Then we were done with Scene 2.

That afternoon we headed to our second location and began shooting Scene 1. It was still very windy, so I knew I wouldn't get any usable sound. Luckily, there was no dialogue in this scene, so if I didn't get any sound, it wasn't a major issue.

After running Philip through the scene, we began shooting, starting with the interior shots. Once these were complete, we moved outside and shot the second half of the scene. After running Philip through this part of the scene, we began filming and not long after that we were done, with two hours to spare. We grabbed a few extra shots, packed up, and headed off. The next day I did come back to the location to grab another shot, as one from the shoot day wasn't usable.

To see more about filming the Self-Portrait, go here.

The next day, I began filming my Self-Portrait. I began by setting up the location. I used my bedroom but I didn't want it to look how it normally does. I removed a lot of things to make space; I then hung up old photos; I placed a few of my film props around the room; I used some lamps and LED strips to light the room; and finally I filled the room with fog.

Once the room was set up I began filming. I went around my room, filming each section. It was pretty simple, I didn't try and do anything too crazy. For the final shots, that I am in, I asked my brother to operate the camera, as he knows my shooting style. Finally, I sat down and shot the stop-motion opening, which took a while. After all of this, I was done.

Overall I think filming for both films went really well. I didn't really encounter any major issues, apart from the wind during the drama filming. I had to think on my feet at all times when shooting the drama, to come up with ways to work around the wind. I decided I would do a complete sound edit in post, meaning I didn't worry about capturing too much sound on location, apart from the dialogue. I think I was a good director. The actors said afterwards that I did a good job and that they hadn't worked with anyone like me before, but they enjoyed it. I think they always knew what was going on and they knew the characters and the script inside out. For the Self-Portrait I think I did a good job maintaining one vision throughout, even the parts I didn't shoot, and I beleive this is because of my directing abilities, which I have learnt throughout this unit. Overall I think production for both films couldn't have gone better. 

POST PRODUCTION

To see more about editing the Self-Portrait, go here. To see more about editing the Drama, go here.

I began this process by editing the Self-Portrait, as that required less work. I began the process by assembling a rough cut, which pretty much involved putting the footage in order and fine tuning the cuts. After the rough cut viewing I began working on the sound design, which involved using the clip mixer to mix all of the sound layers together, adjusting balance and dB levels. I also began working on the stop-motion sequence but eventually decided not to use it. Next I added in some glitch effects. And finally I did some colour correction using the RGB curves and Lumetri Scopes. After the fine cut viewing, no changes had to be made.

Next I started working on the drama. I split the piece into separate sequences to make editing it more organised. I then assembled a rough cut, which involved putting all the shots in order and fine tuning the cuts.

Next I started working on the sound design for Scene 1. This was a long process, as I had no sound to use from the shoot day. I downloaded all of my sounds from the YouTube Audio Library. Then I used the clip mixer to mix all of the sounds, along with my music, together, adjust balance and dB levels. Finally I colour corrected and graded all of the footage.

And then did the same for Scene 2. Finally I created my opening titles and closing credits.

After the rough cut viewing, I made a few changes to some cuts and some of the sound design in Scene 1. I also went out a shot an additional shot for Scene 2. Then after the fine cut viewing, I adjusted a few more cuts and the final cut was ready.

Overall I think the post production process went really well. I didn't encounter any major issues. I had a lot of footage to work with, which meant I had lots of angles to choose from. In terms of sound design, I think I did a good job covering the fact that I had no location sound, apart from the dialogue. For both films I think I cut them together very tightly, and I think I was able to maintain my own vision throughout. I'm very happy with the final films.

OVERALL EVALUATION: CRITICAL REFLECTIONS
  • Strengths-
    • My organisation skills made preparing for the shoot very easy. I was able to produce detailed call sheets and schedules that ensured my cast and crew knew what they were doing at all times. I was able to sort locations out ahead of time, meaning I didn't need to worry about not having anyway to shoot.
    • My overall production skills were very good. I ensured everyone knew what they were doing. I rehearsed the scenes with the actors before shooting anything to ensure they knew how I wanted them to act the scene out, which helped keep continuity. I stayed in contact with my DOP at all times to ensure that she knew how I wanted each scene to be shot. I also allowed her to have some creative input as I believe that having input from others, who may see a scene from a different perspective, can be really useful.
    • My editing skills came in handy, especially as I had a lot of footage to cut together. My sound design skills were very useful. especially considering the fact that I had no location sound. And finally my colour correction and grading skills came in handy, as I needed to match the Breaking Bad style, not only by framing the shots in a certain way, but by colouring the shots in a certain way as well.
    • I think my directing skills were good. I applied everything I learnt throughout the unit. My actors enjoyed working with me and said I was a good director, which is always a positive. Everyone knew what they were doing, and understood my vision. I think this comes across well on screen.
  • Weaknesses-
    • I think one of my weaknesses was trying to direct my own vision, when I was applying to something that already existed. I found that some of my shots were very similar to the ones used in the original scene, and I believe this was because I couldn't get that image out of my head when deciding on my own framing.
    • I should have thought more about sound before booking equipment. I decided not to book out a boom mic, which would have come in handy in the windy conditions I ended up filming in.
  • Possible Development- What did I learn?
    • If I were to do this again:
      • I would book out everything I think I need, and not restrict my equipment because I didn't want to carry too much around.
      • I would not spend too much time focusing on the original scene, instead I would try and focus more on my vision of the scene, to avoid and copycat shots.
      • And finally, I would try filming something a little more challenging than the scenes I chose. I need to step out of my comfort zone more.
CONCLUSION

Overall I am very happy with the final product. I think I cut together two good films, that I can be proud of. I think the reason for this, is all of the pre-production work I put into this unit, compared to the last unit, where I should have done more research. To summarise, I think the two films are very good, and I think this is down to good sound design; good acting; a great script, written by the brilliant writers of Breaking Bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment