Saturday 5 November 2016

Fiction Adaptation: Chosen Essay Question


As part of the Fiction Adaptation unit, we must also complete an essay about adaptation.

CHOSEN ESSAY QUESTION

We had three essay questions to choose from, I chose question number 1:

"Discuss the view that 'with a successful adaptation, the original work is transformed into something new and different, although retaining many traces of what it was formerly" with reference to at least one text adapted for broadcast on television"


INITIAL IDEAS

I chose this question because when I first read it, I already had an television adaptation in mind that I wanted to write about and this question fit that adaptation well. I want to look at the BBC adaptation of "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie, as well as the Family Guy parody, entitled "And Then There Were Fewer". Whilst exploring the Family Guy parody, I will also look at the other books/tv shows/films that Family Guy have parodied, and use these examples to explore the view that the question proposes.

I will also explore the themes of an adaptation, and look at what qualifies as a successful adaptation. I will also look at how Family Guy has brought this Agatha Christie work to a new audience, and how the endless possibilities that animation offer, have allowed Family Guy to parody many works. I will also look at the political side of both adaptations, as the BBC is often very balanced, and Family Guy is often very Democratic, like it's creator, Seth MacFarlane. And finally I will look at how the current social environment has affected the original story, especially considering the fact that when the book was original published in 1939, it had a racist word in the title, which has been changed over the years.

NEXT STEPS

- Re-read the original text "And Then There Were None"
- Re-watch the BBC adaptation
- Re-watch the Family Guy parody
- Watch the original 1945 film adaptation
- Carry out research into adaptation, specifically, television adaptation
- Research into the history of the original text

Image:

0 comments:

Post a Comment