Tuesday 15 November 2016

Fiction Adaptation: Alan Clarke (Director)

I am currently thinking about filming my fiction adaptation of Poem Heard on Heart 105 in one shot, which is called doing a 'onner'. I have never done anything like this before, so I thought I should do some research. I decided to watch a short video about a director called Alan Clarke, who was famous for filming a lot of scenes in one shot on a steadicam.

ALAN CLARKE

Below is the video:


Alan Clarke was a British television and film director, producer and writer. Most of the productions he made were for television. He was well known for his use of long take tracking shots, which often followed one or more characters as they moved around locations. He often filmed an actor walking from one location to the next in one long take. Critic David Thomson once said "no one has ever grasped the central metaphor of cramped existence in walking as well as Alan Clarke".

I have chosen to research him because he was clearly very skilled when it came to choreographing rehearsing, and filming long takes, and this is an idea I am currently looking at.

This is what I learnt from the video:
- He was introduced to the steadicam rig by Stephen Frears and immediately saw the storytelling potential.
- He first used the technique in Made in Britain (1982)
- All his films after this one, opened with a long walking shot.
- His film 'Elephant' let the steadicam shot take centre stage. It had no narrative, and no dialogue.
- His style has influenced others like Paul Greengrass, Harmony Korine, Ben Wheatley, and Gus Van Sant. Gus Van Sant went on to make a homage film in 2003.

I think Alan Clarke is a very interesting director, and I like his style. I will keep this in mind whilst preparing my idea for this unit.

Images:

0 comments:

Post a Comment