Sunday 22 November 2015

Story-Telling: Filming Day 2

Day one of filming is complete. Now it's time to shoot my big opening sequence.

Filming Day 2:

On this day I had to film a big scene involving my main character. In the scene he is hit my a van that is trying to find a space in the busy hospital car park. The scene had to be shot in a specific way for it to work and so it was a very nerve racking day for me. However, before we could begin shooting that scene, we needed to re-shoot some things from day one.

The crew and I arrived at The Maidstone Studios at 10:30am ready to start filming at 11:00am. We collected our equipment and headed back into our waiting room set to begin re-shooting some scenes. I didn't need to ask my actress to come back in because she was not in the shots we needed. We set up part of the waiting room again, set up the equipment and began shooting. I ensured everything was the same to avoid any continuity issues. Once this filming was complete, we reset the room, packed the equipment up and took a short break. During this break I briefed my crew on the health and safety of our next location and I checked to make sure our locations for the day were still available.

After our break we headed to a next location which was a park that ran around the back of the studios. Once there we set up and began shooting scene 1. I briefed my camera operator on how I was planning to frame this scene and we got started. We shot a couple of takes of each angle. I was pleased to see that we finished ahead of schedule, which meant we would have more time to shoot scene 2 which was the crucial van accident scene.

After lunch we headed out to the car park of The Maidstone Studios where they had very kindly roped off an area for me to shoot in. First I looked around at the space we had been given and blocked out the scene, deciding were the crucial moment would take place. To shoot this scene we decided to use a Fig Rig which would help us get the handheld look I was going for but also prevent the shots from being so shaky you couldn't tell what was going on. Next I briefed the crew on health and safety and how I was planning to shoot the scene and then we got started. We shot the scene, which involved a lot of running, all the way up to the moment before the accident. Then we took a break whilst I set up for the camera for the final shot. The reason I did this was because I was going to be the one who had to edit the scene and I needed to ensure it was shot correctly otherwise the visual effect I was planning to do wouldn't work. Finally, we shot the accident and then we were done, ahead of schedule.



And that was it, my shoot was over. Next, it was time to edit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment