Sunday 22 November 2015

Story-Telling: Vince Gilligan

Creator of Breaking Bad. Enough said. And that's why I want to look at Vince Gilligan.

Who is Vince Gilligan?

Vince Gilligan is an American writer, director and producer. He is know by most as the creator and head writer of the hit US television series Breaking Bad. He is also the executive producer of the spin off series Better Call Saul and was the producer of The X-Files. Similar to the other writer I looked at, Quentin Tarantino, Vince has a way with words, everything he writes means something, he never wastes a word. Breaking Bad has some of the most memorable scenes in television history and was a huge success around the world (although it wasn't at first), and every single moment came from the pen of Vince and his incredible writing team.

Why did I pick Vince Gilligan?

I chose to look at Vince Gilligan because Breaking Bad is one of my favourite shows of all time and I wanted to find out more about the mastermind behind it. I love the style that the show and his writing had, it's unique to him. During the time that Breaking Bad was on it produced some incredible scenes and incredible characters (the best being the villains).

Walter White is a great character, a hero that becomes, in a way, a villain. Vince himself once said "Television is historically good at keeping its characters in a self-imposed stasis so that shows can go on for years or even decades. When I realised this, the logical next step was to think, how can I do a show in which the fundamental drive is toward change?"[1]. Walter had some amazing dialogue throughout the run of the show and his character quickly became a sinister villain. And even though Walter was a villain, audiences across the world still loved him and routed for him all the time. Breaking Bad was an incredible success and that's why I chose to look at Vince Gilligan when writing my own script. His style influenced some of my dialogue in terms of how my main character, Dylan, seems like a bit of a bad guy yet I still want the audience to route for him. Vince Gilligan is an incredible writer and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

[1] Chuck Klosterman. (2011). Bad Decisions. Available: http://grantland.com/features/bad-decisions/. Last accessed 22nd Nov 2015.

0 comments:

Post a Comment