Friday 29 January 2016

Directions: Directing Workshop 2

For our second workshop with Steve Finn we looked at directing a script.

Directing Workshop 2

We began the workshop by looking at a script that, apart from one line of action at the start, only had dialogue. We started by reading it through and then asking ourselves some questions about the characters. Before we could even think about how we could shoot the scene, we needed to know who the characters were. This would help us when it came to choosing whose perspective to shoot the scene from.

Robert

We started by looking at Robert. This is what we thought after reading between the lines:

  • Because he has his own office, he must have some high status?
  • If he is leaving, maybe he has done something wrong?
  • Was he fired, or is he retiring, or is he leaving for another reason?
Helen

Next we looked at Helen. This is what we thought after reading between the lines:
  • Helen uses slang. Maybe she is younger than Robert?
  • She seems passionate and honest.
  • She thinks that whatever Robert has done was wrong.
  • She wanted to punish him but failed. Instead she is emotionally/personally punishing him by admitting that she stitched him up.
The Task

Next Steve gave us a task. He told us to go away and prepare to direct the scene, using everyone else as our cast and crew. He gave us a piece of advice, which was to think about the location carefully. We were in a small office like room. He said the first thing you should do is stand in the furthest corner and look for depth, as this can help you work out if a location is suitable, and help you decide how to layout the room and where to place the camera and actors. Also make note of where the doors and windows are as it can be important to know.

I began my prep by following Steve's previous advice, which was to draw a 'camera script'. In my notebook I drew a plan view of the room and used it to decide where I would place furniture, and cameras. I then went through the script and wrote an action next to each line to ensure the actors had something to do throughout, and weren't just standing and chatting. I then added shots to the script by putting a number next to each line which represented a camera position I had drawn onto my 'camera script'. Here is the 'camera script' a created, and the script I annotated:

The 'camera script'
The script
When it came to shooting the scene I began by shooting the opening shot which involved Helen knocking on the door and coming into the room. I then shot the same thing but this time from over Robert's shoulder. I then had to stop shooting so others could have a go. Steve asked me how I would develop the scene using different shots and I explained to him how I would do this using my 'camera script'. He reminded us all that it was best to think about your 'master shot' first. This would help establish the geography of the scene and give you a reference point for the action in all your other shots.

I'm glad we did this workshop because it reminded me that using a 'master shot' was really important, and you should really always do it first. You don't have to shoot the scene in order. You could shoot your 'master shot' first and then shoot your opening shot. It also taught me about how to act on set when working with actors and a crew, something I am not used to doing for my own work. It was nice to be in charge because it meant I could push for my own vision, however I still kept my mind open to suggestions, hence why I took suggestions from Steve, something that some others didn't seem to want to do.

Overall I enjoyed the workshop and learnt a lot about how to read between the lines and breakdown a script when preparing to film.

Steve finished the workshop by giving us a script each. We have been sent off to prepare to shoot this script in a future workshop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment