Wednesday 6 December 2017

Professional Pre-Production: Costume Design

As I am focusing on the visual side of the pre-production process, costume design is something I need to consider.

COSTUME DESIGN

My characters work in an amusement park, so pretty much 100% of the time they will be in their work uniform. Because of this I have only focused on coming up with a design for their uniforms, and no other costumes, as they will be in their uniforms throughout the whole series.

To help fuel my own ideas for costume design I looked at the work uniforms of two major UK theme parks: Alton Towers & Chessington WOA.

Their work uniforms look like this:

Alton Towers
Chessington WOA
It would appear that as the two theme parks are owned by the same company, they wear similar uniforms. Their uniform consists of black trousers and shoes, mixed with a polo t-shirt, and a zipped fleece. The polo and fleece are the colours of the park's logos. As well as this information, I also known from working in an amusement park myself, that a t-shirt/fleece combination is a common uniform during the summer period at a theme park.

Using this research I have decided that my characters will wear red polo t-shirts, which occasionally will be combined with a red fleece/jacket/hoodie. The red colour fits with the colour scheme of Pleasure Park's logo. As well as this, the characters will wear a blue name badge which has the logo on it.

I used Photoshop to mock up these images of what the costume design will look like:

POLO T-SHIRTS

FLEECE/JACKET/HOODIES

I feel this costume design, along with the name badges, fits with the show, the characters, and the uniforms of other major theme parks. If for any reason a character needs to be in a scene without their uniform, their costume design will be based on their characters personality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment