Thursday 5 May 2016

Documentary: Filming- Day 3

Days one and two were complete, it was now time for day three.

FILMING: DAY 3

Prior to day three, I spent some time reviewing the footage from days one and two. I then create a list of shots that needed to be filmed, and questions that needed to be asked on our final day, to ensure we had everything we needed. I also grabbed a second camera, so we could get twice as much footage. For this day both Saskia and Cheyenne were on site to aid with the filming.

The two cameras we filmed with:
A Sony PMW and a Canon EOS M
Upon my arrival, I explained to Saskia and Cheyenne what I wanted to get out of the day. I also explained that I had brought a second camera so we could film even more footage. For this day, Saskia did sound, Cheyenne operated the B camera, and I operated the A camera. I told Cheyenne and Saskia what we needed to film that day and after a bit of discussion, we got started. Cheyenne went off with the B camera to capture some more GVs and some more actuality.

Saskia and I started by interviewing Jamie for a second time, to gather more clips of him talking about the project. Same as before, I filmed, and Saskia asked the questions whilst operating the boom mic. After this we then went and filmed some more interviews with Sue. Once this was done we knew we pretty much had all we needed in terms of interviews, so we continued by filming some more actuality and GVs.


Once all the bags were packed, we ask Jamie and his volunteers if they wouldn't mind having a break together, and pretending it was the end of the day. We then filmed them as though the bags had already been sent off for delivery. Whilst filming we ask Jamie a few more questions, mostly about his day, and one about how he thinks we should fix the problem we are presenting in the documentary.

After this, it was time for them to pack the bags into the van. We didn't want to get in their way so we let them get on with it whilst I moved around with the camera, filming it from as many angles as possible. I already had an idea in my head of how I wanted this sequence to play out so I ensure I got all the angles I needed.

Finally, we asked Jamie to come down to the beehives so we could ask him a few questions about it and get a few additional shots of the Bees. He was very happy to do so and ensured we didn't get too close for our own safety.

Filming the Bees with Jamie
Before leaving the site, we asked our contacts to sign consent forms, and contact forms so we could use them in the final edit.





And that was it. We had finished filming, and ran out of space on the card, again. Overall I think the day was another success, and Saskia and Cheyenne did a brilliant job. We'd got everything we needed to make this a very good documentary. I look forward to the edit, I just need to do another 10 hours worth of transferring first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment