Friday 6 May 2016

Documentary: Editing- Fine Cut

After the rough cut viewing, I had a few changes to make to create the fine cut.

EDITING- FINE CUT

I started by saving a new copy of the document, so all the changes I made wouldn't affect the first rough cut. Then I began to edit.

I still didn't want to focus on GVs too much, as we were going to edit those in as a group, so instead I only worked on the things suggested to me during the rough cut viewing. My first step was to change the title card graphic. To do this I opened it up in After Effects and changed the text in the text composition. I then reanimated the text so it came on screen in a manner that better represented the new title.

Next I went through the beginning of section 2, and replaced all of the London stock footage, with footage of Margate seafront. After replacing the footage, I went through and fine tuned all of the new edits, still ensuring the footage worked with what the narrator was saying.

Then I began to work on the sound levels, which needed to be adjusted because they were too loud at certain points. To do this I used the clip, and track mixers, and the audio adjustments in the effects panel. Once I was happy with the new sound levels, I moved on to the next step.

Some more edits I made included-
- Adding a few additional GVs.
- Stabilising some more shots.
- Changing some music

Finally, I used Adobe After Effects to created some lower thirds that would display each character's name and role in the story. To do this I used the opening title graphic as a template. I removed the background and centred the text. I used the same animation and font. All I had to do was change what the text said. I then added motion blur and inserted the lower thirds into their respective sections of the fine cut in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Creating the lower thirds in Adobe Premiere Pro
(UPDATE) POST FINE CUT VIEWING EDITS

After the fine cut viewing, and group editing session, I had to work towards complete a final cut of the documentary.

I started by going through and adding in the rest of the required GVs. I then fine tuned the edits and fixed any further sound issues. After this I looked through the entire edit and checked every cut, making sure it was as tight and clean as possible.

I also:
- Swapped the opening shots around.
- Adjusted the sound levels again.
- Adjusted the length of the quote graphic.
- Change one of Jamie's lower thirds.

My final step is a complete colour correction process. To do this I used the colour correction tools built in to Premiere Pro. Not every shot needed to be adjusted, mostly just the GoPro footage, and any over exposed shots.

And once all this was done, the final edit was complete, and I couldn't be happier with it! It's taken a while, and I've put in a lot of work but overall it's been worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment