Tuesday 31 January 2017

Studio Production: OFCOM

As part of my research for the show, I have looked at the OFCOM codes to see where my show fits in.

OFCOM

The Office of Communications is the regulator and leading authority for broadcasting. Their powers span across television and radio. It's main duty is to represent the interests of consumers. To do this is promotes competition and protects the public from harmful or offensive material.

OFCOM have a broadcasting code which I have looked over to help ensure that any content I write into the show would be allowed on television at the time the show is on. The code mentions that I should think about:

- the degree of harm and offence that could be caused.
- the likely size and composition of the audience.
- the expectations the audience may have of the programme.
- the likelihood of people watching who don't know what to expect.

I looked over the codes regarding the protection of under eighteens as I felt this was the section that would affect the way I write the show the most.

- Broadcasters must take all reasonable steps to protect people under eighteen.
- Children must be protected by appropriate scheduling (by children they mean people under 15)
- Television broadcasters must observe the watershed (material unsuitable for children should not be shown before 21:00 or after 05:30)
- The transition to more adult material must not be unduly abrupt at the watershed. Stronger material should appear later in the schedule.
- The most offensive language must not be broadcast before the watershed.

Taking all of this on board these are the decisions I have made:

- As the show begins at 21:00 when the watershed starts there will be no content unsuitable for under 18s until at least 10 minutes in. This will avoid the abrupt shift into more adult material after the watershed.
- Offensive language will not be written into the script and all contributors will be asked to avoid swearing during the show.

Here is the OFCOM Broadcasting Code I looked at: OFCOM Broadcasting Code 2015

Images:

0 comments:

Post a Comment