Sunday 1 October 2017

Professional Pre-Production: Final Idea: Pleasure Park

After spending some time thinking about my four initial ideas, I have decided to choose Pleasure Park as final idea for this unit.

FINAL IDEA: PLEASURE PARK



What is it?

Pleasure Park is a mockumentary series which follows the daily lives (struggles) of the staff at the Pleasure Park Amusement Park in the (fictional) seaside town of Fairwood in Cornwall. During the first series, we are a fly on the wall for some of the weirdest moments of their 2017 summer season, including an incident involving a really fat guy, and a popcorn machine that won't stop popping.

The amusement park itself is a failure, and the boss is constantly trying to come up with the next big thing to regenerate the park and bring people back to it. Some of the characters we follow include the boss, his wife, some of the ride operators, and a few regular customers.

Why a mockumentary?

I've chosen to make the series a fly on the wall style mockumentary because I want people to believe this place, and the people that work there are real. I like the idea that this style will allow the audience to go behind the scenes at an amusement park and see things that you wouldn't normally be able to see. These characters are letting cameras into their lives, and letting the audience see them at their highest and at their lowest.

Channel?

I would like to make this series for Netflix. I believe on-demand television is the future, and I believe this series will work on an online platform. Because the amusement park is supposed to be real, the fictional boss has said yes to having his own Netflix series in the hopes it will reach a lot of young people who will then want to visit the park. Netflix are making a lot great shows at the moment and I think their is a place for Pleasure Park on their service.

Focus?

I have chosen to focus on the visual side of the pre-production process. This will include working on locations, editing style, visual style, advertising/marketing, branding, opening titles and a trailer, as well as cast, crew, and episode synopses.

Episodes

I currently have six episodes planned for the first series, which is another reason why I wanted to choose Netflix as the distributor because they don't have a set number of episodes for the shows they make. These episodes are:

1. The First Day of Summer
2. The Inspection
3. The Brand-New Advert
4. The Really Fat Guy
5. The Mysterious Box
6. The Awards Night

I have ideas for the plot of each episode but I will go into detail in another blog post. I will also talk more about the characters in another post.

Why this idea?

Out of my four ideas, I felt this one had a more promising future. I don't beleive their is currently a show out there like this, set in an amusement park. I want to develop these characters and create something different that people will want to watch. I will also be able to use some of my experience working in an amusement park to fuel some of the storylines, which I hope will make some of the stories and characters seem more real.

I look forward to developing this idea during this unit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment