Monday 3 October 2016

Digital News: Scriptwriting In Action


SCRIPTWRITING IN ACTION: BBC NEWS AT SIX

As part of the research for this unit, I watched the BBC News At Six, and focused on the scripting that is used during the leads for each news story.

The news story I'm focusing on, was about the 2016 Conservative Conference. Here is what Fiona Bruce said:

"The UK economy is in for a rollercoaster ride as the UK negotiates it's exit from the European Union, so said the Chancellor Philip Hammond, as he outlined to the tory conference his financial priorities over the coming year. He pledged spending on new homes and transport but emphasied that the deficit is still too large, and will need to be tackled. Our political editor Laura Kuenssberg was watching"

When I first watched the lead, I have to admit, I didn't know there was a Conservative Party Conference going on. I feel that the concise explanation Fiona gave before the report started, did give me the information I needed to understand the report. She first quotes Philip Hammond, and mentions that he is the chancellor, which is good because I didn't know who he was. This quote is important as it summarises his entire speech, which is what the report is about. Fiona also summarises his main points from the speech about spending. She also mentioned an issue that he spoke of, which will be expanded on during the main report. Finally she sets up the report by telling us whose report it is, which means the audience will know whose voice it is narrating the report.

I feel the lead was precise, and accurate, using quotes from the upcoming report. I think it set the story up well, however I do feel some of the language may be confusing for some audience members. People may not know what a Chancellor is, or they may not know what a deficit is. The lead was relevant, it didn't talk about anything other than what the report was about. The topline (rollercoaster ride) was attention grabbing, and easy to understand. It gave the audience an idea of what the Chancellor meant. It will be a bumpy or uncomfortable ride with many ups and downs. The lead is also balanced, it doesn't comment on any specific political stance. I also feel the lead flowed well and had made sense.

Overall I think it was a very well written lead. It made sense, it flowed, and it set up the report well, giving the audience the information they needed to understand the contents of the news report. The BBC have a lot of experience telling the news, and this was clear in every lead throughout this half an hour news bulletin.

Source:

Image:

0 comments:

Post a Comment