Thursday 4 January 2018

Major Project: How To Write A Good Script

Before I began writing the first draft of the script, I wanted to complete some more research in the area, to ensure I wrote the best one possible.


HOW TO WRITE A GOOD SCRIPT

My first thought was to go back to what I learnt in the first year during my unit about screenwriting. I felt if I refreshed my memory on the basics first, this would aid me in writing a good first draft.

I first learnt that of course every script begins with an idea, which is usually formed by brainstorming multiple ideas. In my case, I brainstormed using other heist movies as inspiration. I also used the film 'Baby Driver' as a key element of my brainstorm. From this, each idea needs a beginning, middle, and end, something I have already written out for this idea, which will make writing the initial draft easier.

The key ingredients for a good script are:
  • Character- All stories are about people. They give it meaning. In this case, my characters are two friends, Steve & Dave.
  • A Goal- They need something to aim for. In this case, my characters aim is to steal something of value from this warehouse.
  • Conflict- The protagonist needs something to face or overcome. This helps create drama. In this case, my characters need to overcome the lack of correct masks, guns, and knowledge of how to complete a heist.
  • Change- A change of affairs. The world we are in needs to be different by the end. In this case, my characters realise they are robbing the wrong place, and so it becomes apparent that maybe they are not quite cut out for this.
It's also important to think about Who? What? When? Why? and How?
  • Who? Two male friends.
  • What? Robbing a warehouse.
  • When? Lunchtime.
  • Why? They need money.
  • How? Using fake guns and bad masks.
Moments are a really important part of any script. They are the parts of the script that you want to stand out; to be that one bit that everyone will remember after they see your film. The biggest moment in this film, is the twist at the end. I feel it is something people will remember about the film.

Speaking of the ending, I found it is really important to know the ending, and the events leading to it, before you begin writing. To aid this, I wrote an initial structure plan before I began writing the script. This is in another blog post, which can be found here.

As well as all this, there were a few smaller points I learnt too:
- You can't say it, you have to show it. Use action, behaviour and drama. This basically means avoid dialogue that tells the audience something, and instead use actions to show the audience something.
- People do not just open up about their emotions, and therefore your characters shouldn't either. This means that you need to give your characters a reason to open up. The two characters should also have some kind of pre-existing emotion which means they'd be happy to open up to one another.
- Avoid too much explanation, let the audience work it out for themselves. This works in tandem with the 'show it, don't say it' point.
- Think about whose POV it is. If you don't know whose point of view you're telling the story from, it will make it difficult for everyone involved to fully grasp the concept of it. It can be multiple POVs if that's what the story requires.

Moving on from this research, I also used a website called Screenwriting.info, to find out more about the process of writing a script. From this I found out these key points:

  • The script should start out as an outline of the plot, which includes character descriptions, actions, visuals, behaviours etc... This will help everyone on board understand the project from the get go.
  • This article also reiterates that you must show the audience things, not tell them. This is because a film is a visual medium. In the script, write what the audience will see, and what they will hear. Don't write that the characters say what they can see and hear.
  • Conflict is really important. There needs to be some form of it to make a good story. In this production, the conflict comes in different forms. They need money. They end up stealing the wrong thing.
  • There should be something at stake, which in this case is the fact that they need money. If they don't get the money, something bad could happen.
  • Finally I learnt that scripts have to look a certain way. In this instance, I will be using Final Draft which will format the script correctly for me.
I have found all of this research really beneficial. Although I have written a few scripts during my time on this course, this will be the most in depth film script I have written. I have already created an outline of the story, so I can now get on with writing the first draft, using all of this important research to aid this.

Sources:

0 comments:

Post a Comment