Saturday 2 January 2016

Directions: The Script

Now I have chosen my scenes, I had to translate them into a script that I could work with through-out the production. So I opened up Final Draft and got the scenes up and Netflix. I then watched the scene back, pausing after every action and piece of dialogue so I could write it down in script form. I then went back through and filled out any other descriptions and fine details to ensure my version of the scenes played out the way the original writers wanted it to.

The first scene, from the S4E2, had only one line of dialogue. The entire two minute sequence is pretty much just action. So when it came to writing the script I ensured I kept it as detailed as possible so all the actions would come across the same way on screen as they did in the original show. For the second scene, from S4E12, I had a little bit more dialogue to work with, however actions were still very important. In the scene only one character has all the dialogue so I ensured that was all correct and fitted into the script nicely. I then detailed the actions to again ensure they came across right. This scene had a lot of action in the space of only three minutes and I had to move it too a different location whilst still keeping that action, which I think I did well. In script form it was difficult to express how tense the scene was supposed to be. The music is what makes it extremely tense, however the actions really add to this so I had to ensure they were scripted correctly. Finally, I fine tuned my descriptions so everyone on the cast and crew could read my script and get an idea of what I am going for.

As this is not a screenwriting exercise I tried not to focus on the script too much, however I did want to make sure it was right before I went ahead. I think my adaptation of it on paper represents the scenes quite well.

Here are some of the pages from the script:

Page 1
Page 2 
Page 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment