Saturday 9 January 2016

Directions: Self Portrait 2

During my research into self-portraits I came across this video on YouTube:


It's a self-portrait by Kinshuk Surjan. I don't know who he is but I gather from his channel that he is an Indian filmmaker.

What did I like about it?

What I liked about this film was the use of sound to build onto his narration and the images on screen. For example, at one point he is talking about his childhood and how he did not ask questions. In the background, as the child on screen is being told what to do, he has added the sounds of people marching. These sounds make it seem like the child is part of a regiment of children, obeying those in power; or in this case obeying the teacher, the adults.

I also like the use of the box on the heads of the actors. I think this adds a bit of mystery to the character and when the box changes from cardboard to mirrored glass, it shows how he went from just accepting what people said about the world (made of an absorbent, blank material), to looking at and reflecting on the world himself (made of a reflective, harder material). The first point is also shown when the boy places paper into the box, like he is taken the written information in. And then when it all falls out, it shows how he changed.

Finally I like the use of his childhood to explain why he is the person he is today. He tells us about why he likes writing stories and he does this using his childhood as inspiration.

Overall I think the main thing I can draw from this is that for my own film I could use my childhood as inspiration to help me tell a story. I will work on developing this. I also think the sound design in this video works really well. Sound design is very important for my own film so I will think carefully about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment