Sunday 10 January 2016

Directions: Self-Portrait- Smoke Techniques (Film Riot Research)

For my self-portrait I want my bedroom to look a little hazy. This allows the light rays to be visible and adds a bit of dimension to the film. Strangely enough, this week Film Riot brought out an episode about using haze on film. It's like they know what I'm thinking, they keep bringing episodes out about things I want to know. Here it is:


In the video they talk about two techniques that can be used whilst filming to create that hazy look and feel. From this I learnt that I could use smoke in a can (something I already own) or I could add the smoke in digitally and use camera tracking to sell the effect. I prefer to do as much in camera as possible and so I will either use the smoke in a can, or my smoke machine, to pull off this effect. I also saw them use a light and some cardboard cut outs to simulate light rays coming through a window. This is definitely a technique I will think about using in my film.

Using a light and some cardboard

0 comments:

Post a Comment