Sunday 3 January 2016

Directions: Coverage & Lighting (Film Riot Research)

Film Riot is a YouTube channel that I have watched for many years. It's where I have learnt everything I know about the filmmaking process. Over time I've picked up a lot of information about the technical and practical aspects of filmmaking, and I find their videos very useful for research when I'm working on a project.

For one of my scenes I need to film inside a car at night. Car's can be notoriously difficult to film in, in terms of lighting, as they are cramp and block out a lot of natural light, depending on where the light is coming from. I needed to think about how I could light the inside of a car at night, without relying too much on exterior lights, like lampposts, and without using the inside light as that drains the battery. I went straight to Film Riot and found this episode about lighting cars.


From this I learnt that I can use some portable LED camp lights to light the car on the inside without it looking too obvious. I also learnt that if I need to I can set lights up outside the car and use blue gels to simulate moonlight like in the original scene from Breaking Bad.

To learn a little bit more about directing as a whole I watched numerous other episodes of Film Riot that focused on directing and how to shoot a scene. I found this one quite interesting.


From this I learnt a lot about coverage and a technique called triangle coverage. I also learnt about the difference between a shot, a scene, and a sequence, and about using cuts wisely to establish a pace and tone. Ryan, the host, also spoke about using inserts, which are different angles of things that are already covered in the master shot that aren't the main subjects, to help break a scene up. And finally I learnt about the use of cutaways to again help break up a scene. Overall I leant that coverage is something I need to think very carefully about when filming, because it can make or break a scene, and, if I get the coverage right, it could add another dimension to the scenes that may not be obvious from just looking at the script.

0 comments:

Post a Comment