Sunday 17 January 2016

Directions: Self-Portrait- Final Idea & Shot tests

Recently I wrote about my initial ideas. Since then I have narrowed to ideas down to a final idea. I have decided that I want to base my self-portrait around static. I like to incorporate television into my projects and I think a static screen perfectly represents television. I also think static has a creepy feel to it, like you could stare at it and see something, even though there is nothing there, like in Poltergeist (1982). Static can tell a story, even though it literally it is the "nothing" that exists when there is a loss of signal. But it can show many things. Maybe it suggests that someone is lost, missing or out of touch with the world. I just find it very interesting and so I want to use it in my self-portrait.

Poltergeist (1982)
Before settling on the idea I wanted to create a few test shots to give myself an idea of how it would look and feel. I set up a few shots I had in mind:

Static TV in the corner of the room
Static on a laptop
Static screens, a light in the corner, photos pegged up & a smoky atmosphere
Close up
The photos 

I love the look that the photos give off and I think it is perfect for my self-portrait. They give you a really good idea of what I'm going for. I also feel like look quite cinematic. I filled the room with some smoke to add this extra layer and to make the light stand out. It's adds at atmosphere to the shot, which changes the feel. The photos make you wonder what might be going on. If I was to see these photos and not know what they were about, I would assume they are from a scene about someone watching or looking for someone else. They are very mysterious.

I'm glad I shot these because now I'm confident I can pull of the look I was hoping for. The atmosphere they create is perfect for my self-portrait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment